Holy cow! What a week this week has been! I’m still exhausted and it’s Saturday night! Not only did I have my new student teacher start this week but we also had an administrator walk through, swimming lessons, and I started parent-teacher conferencing. I am so excited to have another student teacher! I really enjoy sharing my love of learning and growing but man is it tiring! I forget sometimes just how many decisions I make in a day and why I make all of them. I am painfully reminded when I have a student teacher as I discuss the whats and whys of the day. I really want them to understand why I do things and not just take them at face-value. I remember writing half a million reflections during my masters program. We hated them so much at the time that the word “reflection” became a dirty word that everyone would cringe at hearing. But somehow all of that time spent writing those reflections (ugh..I still can’t even think it without a recoil) turned into years of internal reflections and growth. I hate to admit it but it set me up for auto-reflecting when I really got into my profession. It has been the catalyst for enormous amounts of growth, humility, and learning. I’m looking forward to sharing all of that with my student teacher!
Aside from all of the craziness of the week, the highlight of my week was our project during literacy. My students have been reading a folktale called “Grandmother Spider Brings the Sun”. We have spent a few weeks doing vocabulary projects, reading the story together, and writing our own folktales but….all of that pales in comparison to the awesome project we got to create this week! As a class we created a Grandmother Spider video game using Bloxels. My students lost their minds when I told them what we were going to be doing!
Each group had their own mission in creating the game. One group was in charge of creating the characters for our game. They had to design our main character, the enemies, and the background. Each of the other groups were in charge of creating one level of the game based on one of our vocabulary words. Their game level had to reflect the vocab word in every way. From their terrain to the hazards to the coins, everything had to represent the vocab word. In each game level they had to hide or protect a white story block. The goal of the main character on each level is to get to the story block or checkpoint on that level. The teams set up their story block to tell what their vocab word was and the definition. Once all levels were complete and our characters were ready to play, we put it all together! Not only were my students 100% engaged but we were meeting WAY more standards than just the standards for literacy!